Brass Bands England presents The National Youth Championships of Great Britain
Published in General on 2018-04-12 by Empty Chairs
More news from Brass Bands England
With 36 Bands registered to compete the National Youth Championships of Great Britain at the Warwick Arts Centre this year is set to be a fantastic day of music making from the Youth brass banding community!
The day will see bands compete across four sections: Beginner, Junior, Intermediate and Championship.
Doors will open at 8:30am for the first of the bands to arrive. The first performance of the day will be starting in the Intermediate Section at 9:30am and the last band of the day expecting to be on stage at 8:00pm, it really will be a full day to enjoy for all players and spectators alike.
The Beginner Section, starting at 4:15pm, will host the five bands listed below with an own-choice programme and with all players under the age of 11.
- Birkwood Brass (Michael Dodd)
- Lions Beginner Band (Chris Thompson)
- Marriot Brass (Julie Maxwell and Zoltan Vincze)
- Stockport Schools’ Junior Brass Band (Andrew Myers)
- Wardle Junior Blast (Lee Rigg)
Results for this section are expected to be announced at approximately 6:20pm
The Junior Section, starting at 11:15am, will host 12 bands listed below, also with an own-choice programme and with all players under the age of 16.
- Beaumaris Band (Bethan Lowri)
- Chalford youth Band (Steve Tubb)
- Dobcross Youth Band (Matt Hindle)
- Elland Junior Band (Samantha Harrison)
- Fred Longworth High School (Helen Robinson)
- Hawkley Hall High School (Steven Cavanagh)
- Lions Junior Brass Band (Tom Hancock)
- Macclesfield Junior Brass Band (Tim Grindey)
- Soundhouse Youth Brass Plymouth (Gary Thompson)
- Stockport Schools’ Intermediate Brass Band (Tom Ridgley)
- Tewit Youth Intermediate Band (Dave Dunn-Birch)
- Wardle Academy Junior Band (Lee Rigg)
Results for this section are expected to be announced at approximately 5:00pm
The Intermediate Section, starting at 9:30am, will host 15 bands listed below, playing the test-piece West Country Fantasy by Gordon Langford, with all players under the age of 18.
- Band Pres Gwynedd a Mon (Dylan Williams)
- Cardiff County Youth Band (Charles Maynard)
- Denbighshire Youth Band (John Powell)
- Egglescliffe School Band (Matthew Haworth)
- Elland Silver Youth Band (Samantha Harrison)
- Enderby Youth Band (Trevor Hounsome)
- Macclesfield Youth Brass Band (Louise Renshaw)
- MK Youth Brass (Phil Devine)
- North Wilts Youth Band (Janet Rose and Alan Campbell)
- Oldham Music Centre Youth Brass Band (Jonathan Leedale)
- Poynton Youth Brass Band (Michael Eccles)
- Rochdale Youth Band (Ben Dixon)
- Stockport Schools’ Senior Brass Band (Iain McKnight)
- Tewit Youth Senior Band (Martin Hall)
- Wardle Academy Youth Band (Lee Rigg)
Results for this section are expected to be announced at approximately 5:30pm.
The Championship Section, starting at 6:30pm, will host the four bands listed below, with an own-choice programme to include the test-piece Overture Metropolis by Gordon Langford and with all players under the age of 20.
- Birmingham Schools’ Brass Band (Stuart Birnie)
- Lions Youth Brass Band (Nigel Birch)
- Northamptonshire youth Brass Band (Brad Turnbull)
- Youth Brass 2000 (Chris Jeans)
Results for this section are expected to be announced at approximately 8:30pm.
The draw of all sections is printed in the programme please note the order of bands above is in alphabetical order and that some sections have a differing start time to previous years due to the new host venue of Warwick Arts Centre’s location.
To avoid queuing on the day, why not buy your tickets in advance from the online box office through the Warwick Arts Centre Website.